Wednesday 5 September 2012

WISE WORDS...

WHILST WORKING THE OTHER DAY (I work part time in a clothes shop), a man in what I would presume was his early fifties came in and brought a load of clothes to the counter. Now the shop I work in isn't cheap and he racked up a bill of about 300 squid. He had a grown up daughter with him and I made conversation by just asking ''so are you shopping for an occasion, an event you might be going to?'' and his reply has stuck with me ever since.


This gentleman said to me ''No, I don't need any of this stuff for an occasion, in fact I don't need any of these things at all. If we wrote a list of all the things we needed then the list would actually be very small. I like to limit myself to shopping once a month and when I do go, I feel a real awareness of how privileged I am to be able to have not only the things I need, but also the things that I want, and enjoy the experience.'' He then went on to tell me that he taught his children from an early age to enjoy the wealth they acquire through working, but to always remain aware of how lucky they were.

I don't know why it stuck with me so much but I haven't done it justice in my recollection of his words. He explained it so nicely. It made me stop to think that we should all have those days where we treat ourselves without feeling bad about it, or worrying that we should be spending our money on more ''important'' matters, but as long as you indulge in one of those days, you should be totally aware of your fortunate position.

Hope that made sense! x

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely thing for someone to say. It does make you think! :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! It makes my day when someone says something nice at work :) xxx

    ReplyDelete